About Foo Chow Methodist Church
Foo Chow is the anglicized name of Fu Zhou, 福州, the capital of Fujian Province, People's Republic of China. The late 1800s saw an influx of a large number of immigrants from Fu Zhou. There were a number of Methodists amongst them. The Foo Chow Methodist Church was formed in 1897 . It was a sanctuary for rickshaw pullers and coolies.
Foo Chow Methodist Church has been at its Race Course Road location since 1936. The church was bombed during World War II. This led to a reconstruction of the church facade. The church's facade has remained the same since then.