The Cat Whisperer Rebecca & her cat Scarface greeting us at the door of her cat hotel, Lingcat Feline Services Nestled in a sleepy two-storey bungalow in the East, lies Singapore’s first home-style cat hotel. Run by Rebecca Ho in her cozy home, Lingcat Feline Services is the perfect cat sanctuary. (Top) Rebecca & one of her two cats, Scarface, in the ‘reception’ area of their cozy cat hotel (Bottom) The rustic old-school interior of the ‘reception’ area of the hotel has a simple charm “The space I’ve created is a real home environment and I treat the cats under my care like I would my own cats.” Rebecca says that her approach is more like a family-run “Bed & Breakfast”. Unlike other commercial cat hotels where cats are packed in rows of cubicles and the cat density is high, she prefers to keep her cat numbers low so that she can give personal attention to each cat based on their unique needs and temperaments. Limiting the number of cats within her home also minimizes the stress felt by cats, who unlike dogs, are not as social and prefer solitude. This ensures the cats remain healthy and there is less chance of diseases spreading compared to traditional cat hotels with a high volume of cats. Cat-themed artwork tastefully lines every surface available throughout the home. Rebecca’s impressive collection of cat memorabilia is testimony to her deep love for cats The warmth and homeliness enveloped us as soon as we stepped into the “reception” area of the hotel. Rebecca’s love for cats became immediately apparent -everywhere we turned there was something cat-related to look at!
The cat-themed décor runs throughout the home, with cat artwork, posters, quotes and memorabilia tastefully lining every available surface. Rebecca converted two rooms on the second floor into spacious areas for the cats to lounge and play, complete with toys and games for the cats to keep themselves entertained. The first room (pictured above) can house 2-3 cats. Some of these toys are her very own design prototypes, based on her many years of observing cat behavior. For example, Rebecca noticed that cats were drawn towards car tyres so she decided to experiment by installing a car tyre in one of the rooms.
The second room is bigger and can house up to 6 cats. The room also contains a cat exercise wheel and a wall of cubbyholes designed by Rebecca. Rebecca’s personal work desk is in this room to simulate a home environment and enables her to keep her eye on the cats while she works. The cats are allowed to roam freely around the house, with cozy corners such as the one pictured above specially created for them around the house.
- Who can use cat hotels – people having their house renovated, travelling, having visitors who are averse to cats
- Nowadays, Rebecca’s constant companion is Scarface, an old, battle-weary ginger cat…
- background about how she found Scarface, rehabilitated him, and how manja he is now
About Rebecca and Background
- The owner of Lingcat Feline Services, Rebecca Ho, is not only a cat lover, but also incredibly knowledgeable about cats.
- Quote from Rebecca about how she loved cats from a young age living at her grandparents’ house, and how they’re gentle and loving etc.
- Trace history about how she used to work with strays, catch-and-neuter-initiatives, etc.
- Earlier avatar of Lingcat Feline services was to help cat care givers trap and transport cats, and ran a rescue cattery to provide low-cost boarding for community cats
- While years of working with and rescuing cats has given Rebecca a deep knowledge of how cats think and behave, she has also enhanced her knowledge through attending international conferences: community cat management training, advance certificate in feline behaviour
- Through this, Rebecca is also a cat behaviouralist, or a “cat whisperer”… A little bit of info about how she can help with behavioural problems in cats, or reconcile differences in expectations between humans who may get a cat for companionship, but the cat isnt so social.
- General observations from Rachel about cat behaviour in Singapore — don;t feed cats in HDBs, but ok to pet; what the signs of a stressed cat are
- Concluding links to Scarface’s FB page & Lingcat website.